5.3.06

Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790) Estadista y científico estadounidense


Mankind are very odd creatures: one half censure what they practice, the other half practice what they censure; the rest always say and do as they ought.
Los hombres son criaturas muy raras: la mitad censura lo que practica; la otra mitad practica lo que censura ; el resto siempre dice y hace lo que debe.

Those who give up a little freedom for a little security, deserve neither freedom, nor security.
Aquellos que cambian un poco de libertad por un poco de seguridad, no merecen ni libertad ni seguridad.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
La democracia son dos lobos y un cordero votando qué cenar. ¡Libertad es un cordero bien armado impugnando el voto!

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Escribe algo digno de leerse o haz algo digno de escribirse.

I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it.
Estoy a favor de hacer el bien a los pobres, pero mi opinión difiere en los medios. Creo que la mejor manera de hacerles bien no es haciendoles confortable la pobreza, sino guiándoles o conduciéndoles fuera de ella.

I am what I am and that's all that I am and if I'm supposed to be somebody else, why do I look like me?
Soy lo que soy y eso es todo lo que soy, y si se supone que debo ser otra persona, ¿por qué me parezco a mí?

Nothing gives an author so much pleasure as to find his works respectfully quoted by other learned authors.
Nada le proporciona a un autor tanto placer como ver sus trabajos respetuosamente citados por otros autores instruidos.

No comments: